Your guide to the Nine Worlds, as brought to you by Ratatoskr, the squirrel who travels the length of Yggdrasil, the World Tree.

12.31.2005

Year in Review: 2005

2005 was the Year of the Rooster, and it had many rooster-like qualities. Let's get the bad out of the way first:
  • Yoko's dad slipped into a coma in August. This necessitated hasty airplane arrangements and Yoko's swift journey back to Japan. She arrived at the hospital in time to say goodbye; as his heart was beating but he wasn't breathing on his own, there wasn't a whole lot the hospital could do for him. After the family said their goodbyes, the staff turned off the adrenaline that had been keeping him going, expecting him to pass away within a half hour or so. The stubborn son of a gun kept going for ten more hours before finally giving up the ghost. Yoichiro Uda was 67 years old. Now, different cultures have different ways of dealing with grief; our American method seems to involve not mentioning the death until the affected individual brings it up first (especially four months after the fact). The Japanese method is to speak the appropriate words when you next see the individual. So, if you happen to meet Yoko for the first time since her father died, please, PLEASE tell her how sad you are to hear about her father. It's the truly culturally sensitive thing to do.
That was the big bad. In comparison, the rest of the year was roses.
  • In February, I started working at the United States District Court, Northern District of California. I'm on the ECF Help Desk and I administer our ECF servers in the background. I'm learning a hell of a lot, especially since we're migrating soon to Linux, and the people I'm working with are top-notch, results-oriented team-workers. In July, the Court sent me to San Antonio for Linux training; in August, they sent me to San Diego for a conference. And did I mention there's a large weight room just down the hall from my office? Life on your tax dollars is good.
  • In May, my brothers and my father came out to SF to walk the Bay to Breakers. We had a blast; next year, if we do it, we're definitely bringing our own beer.
  • In September, while my darling wife was away helping her family out, my goood friends here took me back in as the social butterfly that I am and kept me truly busy. Thank you all very much.
  • In September, my brother Darth married Katie. Now that's something to celebrate!
  • In October, after attending Yoko's dad's 49th day ceremony, I got to hang out with Owen, Evan, and Michael, three of my best friends in Japan. It never ceases to amaze me how quuickly and naturally we pick up the threads of our conversations every time I go back. Oh, and Evan's arms hurt just as much as mine and Owen's after a session of showing off on the weight bench.
  • In November, Yoko got her Notary Public certification.
  • In December, Yoko and I got an overdose of exposure to my nephew and niece. You know, you can never get too much of that.
  • I managed to get through the entire year without breaking a single bone in my body! Hey, laugh if you must, but this is something of a miracle for me!
2006 is the Year of the Dog. Since Yoko and I are both Dogs, I expect great things from 2006:
  • I hope we go somewhere other than just Japan.
  • I hope Yoko's family finds the strength and resources they need to resolve some issues left unresolved by her father's death.
  • I hope to see my brothers, their spouses, and their offspring several times; I hope to spend time with my parents.
  • I hope 2006 marks the end of the corrupt stranglehold these conservative parasites have on our country; I hope we see the Chimp-in-Chief impeached for his arrogant disregard for the constitution and the real will of the people.
  • I hope that you and yours are well, fortunate, and happy throughout 2006; I hope that the Dog proves the boon companion for you that it has been for me.
They say that every dog has its day; here's hoping that 2006 is its (and our) year.

No comments: