Your guide to the Nine Worlds, as brought to you by Ratatoskr, the squirrel who travels the length of Yggdrasil, the World Tree.

11.18.2007

FIDO (Non-spoiler Review)

Full disclosure: Look, folks, I'm here to admit it: zombies scare the hell out of me. Now I'm not talking about your run-of-the-mill dead people brought back to life by Voodoo (or the necromantic act of marking one's targets with a cursed hand; inside joke); I'm talking about the shambling dead, biting on and infecting the rest of us. They combine my two worst fears-- viral outbreak and rabid mindlessness. So why do I love zombie movies?

Frankly, I don't. Sure, the modern remake of Dawn of the Dead or the godawful Resident Evil is good for some laughs, but really, if the only thing you're bringing to the table is a bunch of infectious walking dead, count me out. I've got better things to watch. But if you're willing to go one step further and bring in some humor (Shaun of the Dead, Black Sheep) or some really biting social commentary (or even some art, a la 28 Days Later), well, now, keep talking, and I'll consider putting down the shotgun.

And thus Fido, a Canadian production that marries Lassie and Night of the Living Dead with deadpan performances from Carrie Ann Moss (whom I'd pretty much let eat my brains any day of the week) and Billy Connolly (who makes me laugh so hard, I'd drop my shotgun anyway). Yoko and I were literally in tears, we were laughing so hard (though you can expect to pause the movie a couple of times to explain classic Lassie moments to viewers not familiar with the milieu). It's not perfect, but it hits the numbers, and it might just make our Best of 2007 list (short, short list this year).

If you can handle gore with your laughs, hunker down and check it out.

No comments: