Your guide to the Nine Worlds, as brought to you by Ratatoskr, the squirrel who travels the length of Yggdrasil, the World Tree.

10.13.2008

Lessons Learned

What I learned from missing the curve on the Treasure Island off-ramp on the Bay Bridge and slamming into the mountain/guard-rail:
-- Some turns are not doable at higher speeds.
-- When on the freeway, STICK TO THE FUCKING PLAN. All impulses and split-second revisions are bad unless they circumvent certain death.
-- Keep your cellphone charged; you never know when you're going to need to be on it for an hour or so. Also, an earpiece like a Jabra is indispensable when you're getting things out of your car.
-- If you have an accident on the Bay Bridge, you _will_ get towed by CalTrans; once you're in the Bay Bridge Toll Plaza lot, your usual tow truck company can come and get you.
-- A lot of people will stop to see if you need help or are injured. In fact, a lot more people than really should. I mean, it's really cool and reassuring that so many people are good samaritans, but if you're by yourself and you pull over to help someone on the side of the road, it might not end well. Be careful out there, folks. Not everyone's a goofy and friendly seven-footer with a heart of gold.
-- The CHP guys are really friendly once they work out that you're not drunk or an asshole. And anything that saves them paperwork makes you look good in their eyes.
-- The 9-volt battery LED flashlight is the greatest thing since sliced bread, bottled beer, and 16-gig flash drives. Get one of these flashlights, and put it in your glove compartment along with a spare battery. http://www.9voltlight.com/
-- Nothing, NOTHING is more important than coming home alive and (mostly) uninjured to your loved ones.

For the record: I'm fine, just a little sore. I was the only one in the car, and I didn't hit anyone else. The car's in the shop (yay total coverage and USAA), and we're just waiting to hear the verdict on it.

Most importantly, I'm in one piece. Everything else is gravy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You nut. What were you driving?

Too bad it wasn't Angel Island where you crashed, or i could blame the fire on you.

Erik said...

Green 99 Honda Civic, 111911 miles on it. Must say, was pleased with its performance, despite airbags not deploying. Several helpful people have pointed out that I must not have been going fast enough to trigger air bag deployment.

Jean Sirius said...

gah! glad you're okay. you're *sure* you're okay, right?

Erik said...

Hi, Jean, pretty sure but going to the doctor this afternoon just to make darn sure.

When CHP asked me if I was all right, I said, "You know what, I don't know. Why don't you tell me." And then I had them do a quick scan and check my pupils and reflexes. Afterwards, they said I looked fine. Still, doctor this afternoon, just in case.

Anonymous said...

Eep! I'm glad that you're okay. And that you did not set fire to Angel Island.

Tevel said...

Personally, I would not put the fire on Angel Island past you. But I'm glad you're ok. And I've been in that car!