Your guide to the Nine Worlds, as brought to you by Ratatoskr, the squirrel who travels the length of Yggdrasil, the World Tree.

10.29.2006

A Pet Peeve

I hate political campaign flyers. You know the ones: they're hanging from your doorknob when you get home, they're falling out of those hooks at the bottom of you mailbox. Today, a proponent of Measure O actually slipped a flyer under our door.

I grabbed it and went outside to confront her, saying, "Please don't do that. Please don't put these under my door."

To which she replied: "It's perfectly legal."

Help me, lazy web. Is it perfectly legal in the state of California to stuff these annoying flyers under people's doors?

And even if it is, what kind of moron thinks that I really want another flipping flyer on an issue? And more to the point, if I ask you not to do it, what kind of moron do you have to be to not see that pedantically asserting your legal right to do this is not going to endear me to your cause?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

(replied to your feed on LJ, not sure it will get to you)
From my brief Googling, it seems that unless they're asking for money, it's not covered under state code. Some cities (Arcadia, for example) have an opt-out list. At the very least, you should get a No Solicitation sign. It hasn't helped me much in San Jose (people insist they're not soliciting or "What's soliciting?"), but maybe it warned some off. I'd try a Beware the Dog sign...and if you're technically inclined, rig a motion detector with dog sounds ;)

TheWayOfTheGun said...

Next time, I suggest responding with "It's also perfectly legal for me to punch your face, but you probably wish I wouldn't."

It's not actually true, but if you take a moment right now to say that sentence aloud a few times, I think you'll agree it has a very satisfying ring to it.

Anonymous said...

It may be perfectly legal, but it's not compulsory. She's not forced to be an asshole; she's doing it voluntarily (or possibly for money). Not that pointing this out to her will help...

I wonder if dumping a bucket of water on someone constitutes battery? If so, perhaps just dumping the water on the flyers would work.

tagryn said...

(Next time, I suggest responding with "It's also perfectly legal for me to punch your face, but you probably wish I wouldn't.")

Sure, if your objective is to get sued or arrested for assault. Making a comment like that is enough to at least get the police and/or a lawyer interested, which simply isn't worth the temporary satisfaction.

Erik, depending on the attitude of the woman, you may want to get in touch with the measure's office & let them know you won't be voting for it precisely because of her response to you. This would be more effective if it were a candidate's flyer, rather than a measure whose organization will probably be disbanded in a couple of weeks.